SPOILER ALERT!

Jennifer Armentrout's Obsidian: Half of a Review

Obsidian - Jennifer L. Armentrout

Yes, only half because I didn't finish the book, and I am not sure I will--it's just too similar to Twilight. And by "too similar," I mean shockingly so. In Twilight, a shy girl moves to a small town. In Obsidian, a shy girl moves to a small town. In Twilight, Bella meets incredibly beautiful siblings. In Obsidian, Katy meets incredibly beautiful siblings. In Twilight, Bella falls for a mysterious arrogant boy. In Obsidian...well, yes, the same thing happens to Katy.

And the list goes on.

Obsidian repeats Twilight even in such small details as Katy being saved by the arrogant boy from an imminent death under the wheels of a truck. Yes, true, unlike Edward of Twilight, Daemon of Obsidian is not a vampire. He is an alien. But other than that he is just like Edward--faster than a human, stronger than a human, prettier than a human. He is even as immortal as Edward. There is, however, an important difference between the two: unlike the vampiric Edward, the alien Daemon does not sparkle.

And that's where things get interesting.

When Katy asks Daemon if he sparkles, Armentrout's novel clearly signals its awareness of having Twilight as its model. Daemon, however, would have none of this--no, he absolutely does not sparkle, he responds with disgust, the disgust part being a direct quote from Obsidian. Thus, Armentrout seems to be both fascinated and disgusted by Twilight. But can you really despise what you're imitating?

Things get more confusing here.

Because while Daemon does not sparkle, he is actually made of pure light. Yes, I know this sounds a bit weird: didn't Katy notice him shining through the clothes? No, she didn't because Daemon appears to be perfectly flesh and blood until he chooses to show Katy his true form, which is pure light. Is Daemon as light and not as sparkles just an unintentionally funny slip-up on Armentrout's part? Or is she creating a more complex parody? Okay, okay, I guess I'll have to finish the book now to find out. :)